To New Frontiers

 The Blue Blur is back and I couldn't be happier because this game went above and beyond my expectations. Sonic Team really put a great step forward. While the game is not perfect by any means, it was exactly what I wanted out of a Sonic game. An over the top, speedy whirlwind with a lot of heart. Just the ways that Sonic can be cheeky while also worrying about those around him was pleasant to see. It felt like back in the Adventure days and the narrative really showed that. With the recent announcement of the DLC coming, I felt like it was a good time to gush about the Speed Rat.

Key Art of Sonic grinding a rail over a forest area with ruins and a sea of water in the background. Sonic is wearing a smile that displays excitement. The name Sonic Frontiers appears above the Blue Hedgehog.
In my time with the game so far, I have been able to obtain all of the achievements and completely S-Rank all of the Cyberspace levels. As of right now, there is not much for me to do with the game but get faster times on levels or explore more of the finished open zones. So that means when the DLC drops, I'll be diving back in. That genuinely makes me excited because this game was able to capture so many feelings for me and could wind up being my favorite game that came out in 2022. Granted, I have been skipping most of the big releases. There is not much completion outside of Kirby, which was also fantastic. Yet my favorite overall aspect of the game was the relationship between Eggman and Sage.
Sage from Sonic Frontiers. A child appearance with white skin and white bob-cut that swirls with a red highlight that has a digitized texture. She has one red eye showing and wears a black robe. The inside has the same texture as her red swirl as do her arms and legs. Her facial expression is blank.
Throughout the game you see that Sage is an Artificial Intelligence meant to run Eggman's robot empire. However he is trapped in Cyberspace and her goal is to get him out. You see this relationship is more of a creator and creation affair. But the more you see Sage and Eggman interact, you see that it more of a parent-child relationship. This come across in Eggman's lore drops that can be obtained from the awesome Big the Cat minigame. You are subjected to this genuine love from both sides as Eggman becomes softer and fonder of his A.I. daughter. And Sage in turn learns what it means to feel as she interacts with Sonic in direct and indirect fashion. When I rolled credits on the game, I started bawling as Sage and Eggman's story had struck a chord with me. It was massively relatable and beautiful to see such a sweet relationship blossom over this Twenty plus hour experience. The only thing that really got that close in Sonic games for me was the ending to Sonic Adventure 2. It was nailing those emotional beats in the narrative that made for a fantastic conclusion. 
Eggman watching Stars fall during dusk time while overlooking the open sea on a cliffside. The Sonic Frontiers logo is featured in the bottom right.
With the whole video game package that is Sonic Frontiers, I can say that this game is a Top Three for 3-D Sonics. There are so many things to like about this game and the DLC could very well propel the game into the top spot for me. This is an absolute must play for fans of the franchise and shows that the future of Sonic is bright. Wading around in the darkness made people jaded, but this game is hopefully the turning point that can even see Sonic Adventure 3 realized. That is more wishful because it has been so long since Adventure 2 that another one would never live up to the expectations. Play Sonic Frontiers so they'll make more like this one, you won't regret it.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dark Souls III: Fisting Towards the Dark Soul

Crow Country: A Thrill Ride for the Ages

SGDQ 2024: Oops All Bangers Incoming