EVO 2024: To The Top

 Postponing my Elden Ring post again because the Final Boss is beating my ass. So that means I can talk about one of my favorite events of the year, EVO. The Evolution Championship Series is back in Vegas once again. And I couldn't be more excited. It is easily the most entertaining major in the FGC because of the emotions that come out of it. Many players gear up for the chance to take the crown year after year. And the payoff is always tremendous when someone wins. In all my years of viewership, I have only seen a few instances of of the crowd not being moved by the victor.

The logo for EVO. Three squares that almost form a Tri-Force or whatever. I don't know the backstory behind it, so don't ask.
My journey with this tournament began over ten years ago when I used to watch Tekken Tag 2 sets. So, I was well aware of JDCR and Knee. Yet, I wouldn't really buy into the community until years later. My only points of knowledge were Tekken and Evo Moment #37. Like, I remember showing my friends the clip, and just being flabbergasted by Daigo's insane reaction and execution in the sequence. This type of thing always reminded me of iconic sport moments. There just wasn't any other way to describe the feeling. 

Getting to see the height of games like Smash Melee on the Grand stage or Tokido's insane comeback against Punk in Street Fighter V in real time was electric. Even the reveals of recent years that have become a staple are tremendous a majority of the time. One that comes to mind is The King of Fighters XV. A series that had been reaching the end of its life cycle with XIV was rejuvenated. It doesn't have to be the most world-changing event, but they always manage to make it feel like one. 

The Grand Final VS screen for Tokido (Akuma) vs Punk (Karin) at EVO 2017. If you want to see the loss of the will to live, then watch this set. Absolutely legendary.
Now, to get to the meat of what I wanted to talk about today. The current Evo has the most competitors ever at an event. And that is with last year's numbers, which had already broken records. However, I am not an expert on every fighting game sadly. So, I will be talking about and making my choice on who will win the Games that I pick. Those games will be KOF XV, MK1, Tekken 8, and SF6. These are the titles that I watch often and like watching in general. 

To kick it off, I will be starting with KOF XV. A game that inherently appeals to me because I am Mexican. It's just how it is. This game has a really strong Mexican player-base that I hope is able to bring it home. The big issue that stands in the way of that dream, are the East Asian players. They are just insane at this game. So, it is really hard to pick someone definitively. But, I will be choosing ViolentKain. He's managed to grab big wins at CEO and Combo Breaker recently. So, I think that he's got some momentum to ride with in the bracket. 

Key Art for KOF XV. From Left to Right; Chizuru, Iori, Kyo, Shun'ei (middle), Isla (middle), Dolores, Heidern, Ash, K'. This game is sick, people should play it.
For the next game, I will be talking about MK1. A game that has a pretty definitive top player base. Like, it's not ridiculous to just pick SonicFox. They are easily the best NRS player still, and their dominance has been unreal. Yet, I think that Nicolas is inching closer in on them. Recent tournament results would support this claim as well. With the win at Combo Breaker, but loss at Final Kombat to SonicFox. Still, I don't think that there is much room for discussion as the top players have just been so dominant. But we will see. It's EVO, and anything can happen. 

Smoke and Cyrax in action. I can't remember if this is round start or post fight.
Now we move on to my favorite spectator game, Tekken. Tekken has so many differences in top player skill that a clear winner does not seem definitive. In a similar vein to KOF and even SF. There is no easy answer. I feel like the title can go to anyone right now. The freshness of the game has allowed for many to level up, and even return to form. I know that JDCR has been playing better recently. And Chanel had a good run at EVO Japan this year. The possibilities are limitless. However, I think that JeonDDing is gonna take it home. His recent set with double at The MIXUP in Grand Finals has convinced me. I think he's got some sauce with Eddy and Reina. 

Kazuya and Jin key art. Two guys that have never done anything wrong in their lives. Do not look up lore on them.
For the final game that is SF6, I have a quick answer. My pick is gachikun. I really liked his run at Capcom Cup X this year. He's definitely got what it takes to make it through this big ass bracket. And with over 5,000 people, I think that it is safe to say that anything is possible. i could've said this with the Tekken bracket as well. Like, that's why it is so hard to really pick someone when the pool is so large. Yet, I think that it is fun to do regardless. His Rashid is definitely among the best, it's just a matter of time. 

Luke on the cover for SF6. I like this version of Luke, but this cover is ass.
So, those are my predictions for EVO 2024 that is happening this weekend. If you are reading this at the current time, then tune in. EVO is a great experience and way to indulge in the FGC. It feels like everyone pulls up for this tournament. The storylines and emotions converge in this place. Champions are made here, and the confidence boost from the winners is always notable. That fire never fades. It is no secret as to how previous winners are able to do it all again. And now it is time to do it all over once more. 

And also remember to free Palestine. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dark Souls III: Fisting Towards the Dark Soul

Crow Country: A Thrill Ride for the Ages

SGDQ 2024: Oops All Bangers Incoming