SGDQ 2024: Oops All Bangers Incoming

 Summer Games Done Quick is once again upon us. A perfect time of the year for me as I continue to trek through The Shadow of the Erdtree DLC in Elden Ring. Something that I hope to be finished up with by the middle of July, so I can post my thoughts on it. Which has been pretty great so far with some minor issues. But I am not here for Elden Ring. I am here for Speed.

Mysterious Eyeless lifeform. This shit is so raw. Scary as hell. I love this fucking game.
And this year's SGDQ schedule looks to have some really solid picks. With the only games finished so far being Yoshi's Story and Minecraft Dungeons, as Mega Man 9 moves along. As always, the times and dates are going to be relative to my time zone, which is Central Daylight Time (CDT). So, be sure to abide by this if you happen to be viewing this during the week of SGDQ 2024. Without further ado, let's get into my picks for some games to look out for. 

First up, I am going to do a cheeky double pick and give my reasoning. For the first game, I will be picking Bayonetta 2 (Nintendo Switch) Any% Rosa (Easy) that is being ran by a_variety_pack with PippyInATopHat on commentary. And there is a bonus incentive to upgrade the difficulty to Infinite Climax, the hardest difficulty in the game. What excites me about this run is that Bayonetta goodness. I'm sure I have talked about Bayonetta runs previously in one of these, yet I always love to shout them out. Not to mention, Bayonetta 2 is my favorite in the franchise. So it's a win-win for me regardless. The high octane action, paired with the elegance that is the Bayonetta franchise is always a good time. And you can catch this at around 12:23 A.M. on Monday, July 1st. 

Rosa from the Bayonetta Franchise. Mommy is slaying the night away. The second best love story in this game.
As for my second pick of this set, I am going with Silent Hill (PS2) New Game All Bosses that is being ran by DeathTropes with no co-commentator on the schedule. What's convenient about this one is that it is right after Bayo 2. So, there is no need for sleep or anything in-between. But, the better reason to check out this run is for the love of the game. A classic horror title with some interesting methods when it comes to killing enemies quick. And if you've played it casually, you can see just how much you can get away with when it comes to puzzles and encounters. I play and watch Silent Hill game runs quiet frequently, and they never cease to amaze me. So be sure to check out Harry Mason running around Silent Hill to get his burrito back at around 2:15 A.M. on Monday, July 1st. 

Harry confused about where he left his burrito. No unspeakable horrors can ruin this man's day.
But the fun doesn't stop there. Because Mirror's Edge (PC) Any% from Blackbeltginganinja with Odjur and stevetvonline on commentary is on the docket. The quintessential parkour game is back and I'm super excited. Mirror's Edge is such a wonderful game that still holds up casually. And the speedrun is no slouch either. Incorporating all of those elements that make Mirror's Edge unique in precision and timing, along with the importance that is speed is always a spectacle. But at the end of the day, you're going to have to see it to believe it. And you can check it out at around 12:37 P.M. on Wednesday, July 3rd. 

Banner for Mirror's Edge. Faith looks so awkward in this image. It's like they just wanted her to be a blank slate.
I don't normally do this, but I am just going to say that July 4th is stacked. There is a block late at night that includes Halo 3 (Co-Op Legendary), Sekiro (Hitless), Castelvaina: Symphony of the Night (Reverse Boss Order), and a Dog playing Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball. Yet, that is not what I am here for. I am here for Mad Panic Coaster (PS1) Any% that is being ran by Joester98 with Ecdycis on commentary. And you might be wondering what makes this game more interesting than those bangers listed before? It's because Mad Panic Coaster is a really difficult and bizarre game about riding in a roller coaster. Imagine a Donkey Kong minecart level, but it was in 3D. The game is wild and needs to be experienced to truly understand why this is such a fun one. There truly nothing like it. You can check it out at around 4:01 A.M. on Thursday, July 4th.

Cover Art for Mad Panic Coaster. This shit is so wicked looking. Hell yeah.
And lastly, I have to recommend the Super Mario 64 (Wii Virtual Console) Randomizer 10 Star Blindfolded that is being ran by Bubzia with 360Chrism on commentary. I cannot get enough of these blindfolded runs. It doesn't matter if it's SM 64 again. This shit is so goddamn cool. Especially when you consider the fact that SM 64 is a pretty unforgiving game when it wants to be. And I always embrace these change-ups to the classics. These runs take a lot of skill and perseverance, so I respect the hell out of anyone that can pull them off. Make sure to tune into the marathon during its slot. Which is 3:31 P.M. on Saturday, July 6th. 

The lad Mario just standing there. He can't call Bowser gay anymore. Thanks Nintendo.
That's all folks. Go watch some speedrun goodness and enjoy the event as a whole. I always love to talk about GDQ. An event that I hope to attend one day in some capacity. I love games, I love supporting charity, and I love speedruns. A perfect storm for someone like me. And just remember, Trans Rights are Human Rights and Free Palestine. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dark Souls III: Fisting Towards the Dark Soul

Crow Country: A Thrill Ride for the Ages